Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Weight Loss Journey - Version 2009

This is my new fat picture; my motivation for losing more weight.

Today starts the first day of my new weight loss journey. Today I started a new session of Weight Watchers and have a new goal.

Some of you may know; I've been on Weight Watchers before, a few times, actually. But, in January of 2007 is when I was truly serious about it.

In January of 2007, David had to have neck surgery; he had a ruptured disc in his neck and it was pinching the nerve to his right arm. He was in so much pain that surgery was the only option. His pre-op blood work came back with high glucose numbers. The morning of his surgery, they tested his blood-sugar again, while the number was lower than the first one, it was still very high. They determined that they believed he had Diabetes and debating on going ahead with the surgery. Apparently, diabetics do not heal well. As David never had a problem with healing, and with the pain he was in, it outweighed the risk of performing surgery on a diabetic. We did follow up with his family doctor 3 days after the surgery, and it was confirmed, he has diabetes; type 2, so not insulin dependant. Diabetes runs in his family, and mine as well.

That is when I decided I'd had enough. We needed to eat healthier, lose some weight and set a better example for our kids.

I joined Weight Watchers for the 3rd time, but this time was different. I was determined, I had a real reason, I had motivation. I even worked out on my eliptical machine 4 nights a week. I lost 37 pounds by June of 2007. Yay me!

Unfortunately, we didn't have enough people to start a new session at work after June; it's hard for people to commit in the summer. So, I maintained my weight on my own after that, and was doing a pretty good job for awhile.

In November, I found out I was pregnant, and the exercising stopped and I no longer stuck to the plan, I still watched what I ate, but was way more laid back when deciding what to eat. Afterall, isn't pregnancy an excuse to eat whatever I want? Now, I didn't gain that much weight, but when I lost baby Grace in March of 2008, I was stuck with baby weight and no baby. I struggled with a bit of depression and couldn't care less with what I was eating. It took me a few months to snap out of that mind set. However, to my surprise, when I was finally ready to return to the real world, I found out that I was pregnant again. I was very cautioned with this pregnancy; I know that I did not cause my body to do what it did to Grace, but I also knew that I did NOT want anything to happen to yet another baby in my body.

I did monitor what I was eating and was very careful to try to not gain a bunch of weight, because I know it's hard to get off. When I was full-term with Mason, I had only gained 24 pounds. By my two week check-up with my midwife, Donna, at the end of February, I had already lost 21 of those 24 pounds. I'm sure it was because when I was pregnant with Mason, it was ALL baby, and I am nursing. Unfortunately, I've used that as my excuse to eat whatever I want, still. And, let's just say that I've put a few pounds back on and I was not happy when I tipped stepped on the scale today at weigh in.

I think I'm ready to start again and work towards my new goal. I'm hoping to lose at least 20 pounds in the next 17 weeks on Weight Watchers. We will see how it goes; and I will keep you updated.

Until next time.


0 comments: