Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

Last night was rough...Mason was very cranky and unhappy. He threw-up a lot; which was scary to us. We took his temperature and he was fine. I think what happened was that my niece fed him numerous times yesterday. She kept track like I asked her to, and it seems that every time he fussed she fed him because it was an ounce here and an ounce there. Only one time did he take a whole 4 ounce bottle. Is it possible that his stomach was upset from all of that?

It took me quite a while to get him calmed down and to sleep. We slept on the couch from 9:15 to 11:45. Then, David woke me up and we went up to bed. I nursed him and put him in his bassinet. I am really, truly trying to break him from sleeping on my chest, but he just hates his bassinet. And, I think he really likes sleeping on his belly because he sleeps so well that way. He tossed around a lot last night, but I just kept reaching over and putting his pacifier back in...but for the most part, he slept. I got him out of his bassinet about 4:30 am and fed him. Then laid him on my chest (on his back this time) and we slept for another hour...I just wanted to be near him when he was happy, sleeping and content. I was just so frustrated the night before.

The nurse practitioner (NP) that we saw at his 5 week check up said they won't just but him straight on Zantac (even though we did that with Preston just 5 years ago). She said that they would want to do an "Upper GI" test in which they give him fluids and monitor what happens to the fluid. I was mortified, like I'd want my 5 month old to have to go through that. But, after talking to my other niece, who is an RN, she said they would probably give him breast milk as the fluid and it probably wouldn't be that bad. I never thought of that; I had assumed they'd give him something horrible like dye or something. OK, that is a little better. But, I am holding off. At his appointment, the NP said I should try keeping track of what I'm eating and cut out certain things, prop him up for 20-30 minutes after he eats, etc. We would readdress this at his next check-up in a month (April 28th).

So, since then, I have cut out caffeine, barely eat any chocolate (which is almost killing me) and I really don't drink milk; cheese might be a problem, but I would think that his problems would have been from the beginning if it were dairy, not just developing. So, I don't think things with his stomach are getting better; they are getting worse in fact. However, when I told Donna, my midwife, about what was going on, she suggested that I take Zantac; it passes through breast milk and that way he would get it through me. She said she's never tried it or suggested it to any of her other mothers, but thought I should give it a try. So, today it has been one week. It took a week or so for Preston to get the full effect of Zantac 5 years ago, so I'm hoping that we will see a change in Mason soon. If not, how do I insist that the pediatrician prescribe Zantac for him? Anyone have any suggestions?

In other news, I'm not sure if I shared this, but there was another little boy at the pre-school, who left at the beginning of the year, who was having the same issues, but only at school. His parents couldn't understand it, so they pulled him out and had him evaluated by a counselor. The counselor determined that it was the school and teacher causing the issues because he showed no signs of anger/aggressiveness anywhere else. His parents have since enrolled him into another pre-school and he is thriving beautifully. His mother told me yesterday that he's actually one of the better kids in the class. Imagine that...you don't even know how great that made me feel, that I didn't do anything wrong while raising Preston. It's not my little guy after all...now, we are still waiting for his appointment with the counselor next Monday, but seeing as how there are others out there that have been through the exact same thing, I'm sure it has something to do with the school environment. I mean, really, what's the common denominator here? Yep, Ms. Rebecca....once I get all my reports together, I am going to gather as much information as I can and send it to the school administration and/or diocese. They need to reevaluate the program and/or teacher and correct the issues. Children should not have to endure what we've put Preston through. My heart breaks every time I think of how I left him in that situation for two years. I hope we have not scarred him for life.

Today is "spring picture day" at school, so Allison got to wear whatever she wanted and not her uniform. She was excited as she wore her new picture outfit that we just bought her for the kids' pictures at Sears. And, she'll probably wear that for Easter, too. I see no sense in spending $20 or more dollars for a dress she will only wear once. I've learned this after only 6 years of buying a special outfit for every holiday. I have decided if they at least have something nice to wear, then it doesn't matter if it's fancy or not...they're just kids. I can't tell you how many suits Preston has that he's only worn once...the good news Mason will get the benefits of that.

That's about it. No pictures to share today since I'm at work and don't have access to my camera. I'll be sure to take some random pictures and maybe just post a picture show next time.

Until then....

Michele

1 comments:

Alicia said...

I agree...I really think you should address the school about Ms. Rebecca. She is wrong and should be repremanded for it.

I use to work for a peds office and they always scheduled an upper GI before they subscribed anything for reflux. However, they did try switching the child's formula up too. Are you only breastfeeding? I didnt know if you neice was feeding him formula during the day. He migh have an intolerance to the formula if so. Just a thought.

Have a great day!